Wednesday, December 23, 2009

hope?

Some posted the following lyrics from Rufus Wainwright:

"don't forget Jesus, Mary, and Joseph Once were a family poor but rich in hope, yeah Don't forget Jesus, Mary, and Joseph Running from the law, King Herod had imposeth And they were each one quite odd And mensch, a virgin, and a God But don't forget that what kept them aflow Floating through the desert doesn't take a boat no Don't forget that what kept them above Is unconditional love"

There were a few comments regarding the beauty, etc. But I have to say I hate it. I just don't like this sort of thing. Why? It cleans up the narrative so much as to have to place in the real world in my book. Were they "a family poor but rich in hope"? Well I'm sure they were rather poor. It is the rich in hope I question. Of course I have no idea what the truth is. But when we turn these people into idols with no human failings we do damage to the scriptures. I suspect that while there might have been hopeful moments, there was a lot of fear and terror and wondering just what in the world is going on going through their minds.

Let us resist the temptation to see everything through rose colored glasses. We loose a lot of opportunities to learn and grow.

No comments: