Monday, January 12, 2009

Singing creation

This past Sunday the Hebrew Scripture lesson was from the creation story. I celebrated at a Lutheran Church and as usual experienced some songs I was not accustomed to. The song before the sermon spoke about who God sung at creation. Of course I immediately loved the song since that is how Narnia was created by the Lion.

I like that image of creation being sung. In the Hebrew Scripture creation was spoken into existence and it is not too far a leap to move to singing. I have to think that God must have had a tune in her mind if not her voice at the power and beauty of creation springing forth from the very sound of God's voice.

Our job is to continue as singers in God's wonderful choir as we attempted to usher in the kingdom of God in the broken world around us.

4 comments:

Kirkepiscatoid said...

What was the name of the song? As an expatriate LCMS-turned-Piskie I might know it!

Robert said...

Hey Kirk, it is not everyone who can get me to rummage through my garbage to answer their question! It was hymn number 799 in the "Blue Book" - "When Long Before Time."

It was an ELCA parish though. :)

Kirkepiscatoid said...

I looked up the lyrics in the online ELCA hymnal. It's like 863 in their new red book. We never did that song back when I was LCMS 20-40 years ago, but I have a vague recollection that this song is one the Presbyterians sing. So they might have stolen it from the Presbys!

Robert said...

Those Lutherans! glad you were able to find it.