Wednesday, October 01, 2008

With whom shall I eat

The Gospel reading for the Daily Office today and convinced me of how wrong the conservatives who desire to leave the Episcopal Church are.

They find themselves in the sad role of the pharisees asking why Jesus would fellowship with sinners, which means they are on the wrong side of the Gospel.

While I firmly believe they are wrong in categorizing me, among many others as sinners, nevertheless once they do, they need to respond as Jesus would. Rather they take up the role of pharisee without even seeming to be aware of it.

They certainly need our prayers.

2 comments:

Kirkepiscatoid said...

Well, and this Sunday's Gospel is fairly appropriate, too! "Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the scriptures: ‘The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone; this was the Lord’s doing, and it is amazing in our eyes’? Therefore I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people that produces the fruits of the kingdom. The one who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; and it will crush anyone on whom it falls.” When the chief priests and the Pharisees heard his parables, they realized that he was speaking about them. They wanted to arrest him, but they feared the crowds, because they regarded him as a prophet.

The conservatives causing trouble in TEC are modern day Pharisees, IMO. Wouldn't it just be downright hilarious if the latest "stones that were rejected by the builders" aren't LGBT Christians, and are the people that are going to take all of us closer to real communion with God?

I don't plan on tripping over that stone, myself, and you'll have to hold me back from LMAO'ing when it happens, and the conservatives are standing there with a goofy look on their faces.

But you bring up an important topic; one I am not good at and have been struggling with...praying for people I don't like. If you've followed my blog of late, I ended up discussing this and realize right now, the best I can do in that dept. at present is to pray "Bless (not likable person); change me." But I'm tryin'.

Robert said...

I can't think of a better prayer than that one to pray. Thanks for sharing it.