Wednesday, August 06, 2008

The Transfiguration

I think this day is both remarkable and ironic. It reminds me of the amazing power of God and the amazing power of man and the difference between the two. Today we remember the Transfiguration of Jesus but it is also the day man unleashed a horrible power of destruction on man, the dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima.

There is amazing power to do good in this world and unfortunately too often amazing power to do evil. Hiroshima reminds me of the evil that man continues to do this very day. But in the unwillingness of the rich and powerful of the world (of which I have to count myself as one) to meaningful work to end some much suffering in the world and the power of evil to actually perpetrate murder and destruction of innocent people.

Surely God must be weeping at all we do and fail to do.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Amen brother. Deep sigh.