Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Prayers

As I have mentioned previously I'm reading through the book "The Dark Night Of The Soul" by Gerald G. May, M.D. He made a great observation about the tendency in many churches to start a meeting with a prayer which includes something along the line of asking for "God to be with us". And then once we finish the religious business of prayer move on to the "real" business of the meeting as if God is no longer involved.

The thought made me ponder if I all too often live my life in that very same way. it is not the sort of thing we do on purpose of course! But I have to think that too often in my own life, I'm praying for God's presence and guidance, and then getting up and attending to the "business" of my life as if God no longer matters, or at least was no longer of primary concern.

I think I want to start working on making sure that I acknowledge and seek God's presence more and more in my life in all my decisions and actions.

No comments: